The name Nockamixon is of Indian origin, meaning "place of soft soil." Famed Lenni Lenape chief Nutimus lived here. The Durham Iron Works was established in 1727, and although there was no organized township north of Tinicum, settlers built cabins here and there in the woods along the Delaware River.|
Ferndale, formerly known as Rum's Corner because of the distillery in the area, is the site of the township's municipal offices. Kintnersville is the largest community in the township. In 1749 George Gintner (Kintner) settled in the hills of Nockamixon Township. After serving in the Revolutionary War, he sold supplies to the Durham Iron Works until it blew up in 1792, after which he left the area. His son Jacob moved back to Bucks County in 1812 and purchased the property where Kintnersville now sits for $26.75. Kintnersville was the site of the first gas station in Upper Bucks County.
Nockamixon State Park covers 5,283 acres of woodland and fields in northern Bucks County, and is the site of Lake Nockamixon, a favorite spot for area fishermen. Sailboats and small motorboats (up to 10 hp) dot the lake. Bucks County Horse Park, located on Route 611 between Revere and Ferndale, is a private, non-profit corporation dedicated to the preservation of open space for amateur equestrian pursuits, with more than 25 miles of riding, carriage, hiking, jogging, and bicycle trails.
School District: Palisades